Recent Posts
Featured Posts


U10 Boys at Weetwood 18th October

It was a grey drizzly start to the day but the Airedale U10s team did not have dampened spirits! They were up for the challenge of defending their Championship title (gained at the last tournament by some superb hockey). Debuting this time were; Jonathan Bownass, Toby Francis and George Marsh and they were supported by the rest of the team; Agnes Simons, Seth Linacre, Freddie Marsh and Eoghan Marsh. It was going to be tough but rule No. 1 (‘smile at all times’) was adhered to heroically as they played their first two matches against Harrogate and Doncaster and were defeated, 3-0 then 6-0. Their match with Slazengers presented a different story. An early goal by Slazengers was a blow and the feeling was, momentarily, that this game would go the same way as the previous two, but Airedale responded with a fight and within moments of Slazenger’s goal, Freddie hit a lovely shot past the keeper, all to play for again and the game was close, unfortunately Slazengers stole another goal before full-time, final score 2-1. But smiles were still on and everyone was putting all their effort in. There was a lot to take on board for the players who had never played before and they didn’t seemed phased. Next game up was against Ben Rhydding and this really was a turning point for the team, strong opposition was met with dogged determination, great tackles made by all on the Airedale team and lovely attacking runs stumped Ben Rhydding, they had no answer and couldn’t get close to scoring. Airedale were unlucky not to score, their goalkeeper had to make saves to keep the final score at a 0-0 draw. We were on the scoreboard, 1 point and one game to go. Final game, bellies full of hot chocolate and optimism they strode out with confidence. Brigg were the final opposition, a friendly team with plenty of new players themselves (and also very smiley) we had a strong positive start, Freddie had got a shot past the keeper and we were in the lead. The team had shape, focus and were passing the ball with flair. Before we knew it Agnes, and those speedy legs made a great run down the wing before passing her shot passed the keeper, 2-0 and still plenty of time to go. Jonathan was the next to take on the keeper with a very valiant shot at goal, the keeper saved it but the battle was still on, Agnes got another goal and Freddie scored again, final score 4-0. A great high to end on, even the sun came out to celebrate! Well played to all. Next tournament will take place on 6th December.

Search By Tags